TSL News Network
JAMMU, Jan 28: In the midst of the old city, one cannot miss to visit magnificent St Paul’s Church, which is situated near Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister’s official residence at Wazarat road, a little ahead of the Residency Road.
Displaying impressibility of British architecture, the church has been built using seemingly red bricks with a cross-placed above it, which gives the building an attractive look. This church was built by the Scottish missionaries in 1928 and it’s headquarter is situated in Sialkote. In 1882, the missionaries visited Jammu for the first time and thereafter, built the first church at Chitrohi on the border of Jammu. Dr. Hezedson was first missionary. He was born in the year 1885 and died in 1925.
St Paul’s church was built in the year 1928 and Miss Hasabela laid the foundation stone of this church on April 11, 1928. On the suggestion of Maharaja Pratap Singh, missionaries opened a school which was inaugurated in 1892. They sought land for the school which was immediately alloted to them. The school was named as Alexander Missionary School.
Presently, it is known as Alexander Memorial School. A house was also built for the missionary and his family to live in there. The foundation stone of this house was laid in the year 1893 whereas it was completed and inaugurated in 1902. Dr. J.F.W. Youngson came as missionary to Jammu and after working for some time returned to London.
Then in 1907, Miss John.A.Alexender came to Jammu. The school has been named after her only. By 1928, St.Paul’s the church had been built and on April 11, 1928, the church gates were thrown open to the public by Miss Hasabela. The first priest of St.Paul’s Church was Karam Deen from 1911 to 1918, who was welcomed by Dr. Scott.